Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday June 9, 2014

Random Thoughts On A Page

This week just seemed to fly by this week.
  On Monday we had a super good lesson with the Wilson's, we really focused on how we have a short period of time here on Earth to prove our self.  I used the talk from general conference about four minutes by Bishop Stevenson.  That really hit him hard, we got him to call his Brother in law to see when he can come up to baptize him.  He left him a voice mail so we will hopefully find out tonight what the verdict is.  We are starting over on teaching him the lessons, even though he has had them a bunch of times but it has been about a year.  We are teaching the plan of salvation tonight and are really going to direct it towards him.  I am excited, I have really come to love being bold with people.  
   We also saw one of our part member family investigators that we dropped a couple of months ago just to see how things were going.  She told us that this week she had the desire to start having family prayers each night.  It might see like a small step but this is moving her in the right direction to prepare her to make the bigger commitments down the road.  I know I won't see the fruits of that while I am in the area, but I know that I have helped her along the way.
   We also saw Elvira this week a couple of times, she has so much faith and such a strong desire to be baptized.  We taught her a few commandments, one of them being the Word of Wisdom.  We were nervous about this lesson because she has an issue with coffee.  We explained to her the reasoning and blessings from keeping this commandment from God.  She said that she knew it was going to be hard, but that she would and that she had the Faith that the Lord would help her.  Sadly she was sick this week so she wasn't able to attend church.  My companion and I were trying to figure out if she would be ready or not to be baptized on the 21st of June.  It was weighing on us yesterday.  It is funny how the Lord answers your prayers though, as we were sitting in gospel principles class we were talking about baptism, which was perfect for Charlie Wilson to hear.  And a comment that the teacher made was an answer that I was looking for.  He was obviously stating his own opinion but he was talking about his opinion on baptisms.  How some bishops or missionaries are afraid to let investigators to get baptized because they are not sure if they will stay strong in the church.  But he said that if they have that desire to be baptized we should do all that we can to get them there and have faith and trust in the Lord that if they are to fall away that someone will reach out to them and help them to come back.  It is hard for me to explain it right now, but Sister Hatch and I both got the feeling that we should keep Elvira on that date, that she has such strong faith and desire to be baptized. 
   We also had our Missionary Leadership Council this week, sadly our Mission President was sick so he was not there, so his wife was in charge.  It was interesting but we learned a lot.  This week Sister Hatch and I did the training at our Zone meeting, we focused on Christlike Attributes.  We did this activity that was really cool.  We tried to focus on them seeing the bigger picture on things that their mission is not just for a season but for the rest of their lives.  We had them right down who the wanted to be at the end of their missions, what qualities that wanted to carry over from their mission.  We then had them all close their eyes and imagine that they had reached the end of their missions that they had flown home and had greeted their family.  Then they got to the stake presidents office and were released, we had them all take off their missionary name tag off.  We had them reflect if they were the person that they hoped that they would become and to write down what they needed to do to reach that point.  I know for me when i did this activity, that it was a scary moment.  There is so much more that I want to do and work at to become the person that I need to be.  We talk about them taking this day to be a turning point in their mission whither they have 2 months left or 22.  I feel like I have been reflecting a lot lately the person that Heavenly Father needs me to be and who I want to be when I go home.  I promise I am not getting trunky, this just instilled a deeper desire to work even harder and progress a little faster.  This week I have started to go through the book of Mormon again and highlight all the Christlike attributes, it has really opened my eyes as well to the scriptures.  Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough time out here for myself as I study for others, but then I am reminded that I have the rest of eternity to work on myself and to learn for myself.
   At the end of our zone meeting we paired up with someone and we wrote something down that we wanted to work at and they had to commit us to that item.  I ended up being paired up with Sister Winder(Mission Presidents wife), which I was so excited about because I knew that I would be held even more responsible for what I chose.
    I have been rereading the conference talks from April, that is something that I would encourage you all to do.  There has been so much more that I have been getting out from it. 
   I love you and miss you all, so sorry that this email is so short. Hope all is well with you! Look for the Lord's hand in your life daily! 

Love 
Sister Metcalf

Quotes:

When (Christ) comes, I so want to be caught living the gospel. I want to be surprised right in the act of spreading the faith and doing something good. I want the Savior to say to me: “(Megan), I recognize you not by your title but by your life, the way you are trying to live and the standards you are trying to defend. I see the integrity of your heart. I know you have tried to make things better first and foremost by being better yourself and then by declaring my word and defending my gospel to others in the most compassionate way you could.”He will certainly add: “I know you weren’t always successful with your own sins and with the circumstances of others, but I believe you honestly tried. I believe in your heart you truly loved me.”
- Elder Holland
Your happiness depends more on the principles you choose to follow than on the external circumstances of your life.
-Bishop Causse
If it were possible for you to receive a letter from your premortal life, what would it say? What impact would such a letter from a forgotten but very real world have on you if you were to receive it today?
This letter might say something like: “Dear me, I am writing to you so you will remember who I want to become. I hope you will remember that my greatest desire is to be a disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I support His plan, and when I am on earth, I want to help Him in His work of salvation. Please also remember that I want to be part of a family that will be together for all eternity.”
One of the great adventures of life is finding out who we really are and where we came from and then consistently living in harmony with our true identity as children of God and with the purpose of our existence.
-Bishop Causse

No comments:

Post a Comment