Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday, June 23, 2014

"Where there is cake there is hope"
This might be a short one this week.  This past week was so amazing, Elvira got baptized on Saturday and it was such a neat experience.  It was a little stressful at the beginning, our Mission President and his wife showed up, but we had to end up starting 15 minutes late because the person giving the talks had gone to the wrong building at first, so we had to wait for him.  Overall it was good and everyone really enjoyed it.  She has such a sweet spirit about her and there was such a special spirit there.  Sister Hatch and I got to see her before she entered in the waters and then helped her when she got out.  She kept talking about the feelings that she was feeling and how special this day would mean to her.  She ended up bearing her testimony and saying the closing prayer.  She will forever hold a place in my heart.  Her daughter asked us if we would be her missionaries we told her we would love to teach her, but that we had transfers coming up in a week and so we might not be able to stay together.  Elvira was so sad to hear this but we promised her that we would keep in touch. This week we are going to the temple grounds which she is so excited about.  We talked to her on Sunday evening about doing family history work and being able to go to the temple to do the work for her ancestors.  I promised her that I would visit her often and that I would for sure be back up next year when her family is sealed into the temple.  I think this is one of my favorite parts about being a missionary, not only helping people to enter into the waters of baptism, but to help them get to the temple.  I wish you all could of been there for her baptism or could be able to meet her, she is just an amazing person.  Sister Hatch and I were excited to give her her gifts after the baptism.  We made her russian hats(its a bosnian dessert), we asked her a few weeks ago what her favorite dessert was and she said that.  So we surprised her with that and she was so happy.  We also gave her a croatian Book of Mormon with her name engraved in it and we both wrote our testimonies in it, we gave her a framed family proclamation, a picture frame that said families are forever, and a journal so she could write her feelings about this whole experience so she would never forget.  When we went by her house yesterday after church she had already written in it.  She talked to us about the change that she could see in herself as well as how her co-workers these past few weeks had seen a change in her as well.  At church yesterday we were a little nervous because her kids were coming to church for the first time and there is not many youth that are in the ward(maybe like 3-5) that are around their ages.  Elvira texted us after church and said how they both had really liked it and made some friends.  I felt like that was a relief because I have been so nervous as how the ward would grasp on to her after she was baptized, and things have been going really good.
      So it is official, we are having another baptism this Saturday for a lady in our ward Mary, I am pretty sure that I had mentioned a little bit about her last week.  Well she wants to keep her baptismal date for the 28th so we really have been meeting with her every single day to make sure that she is ready.  It has been a little crazy and stressful, but has been worth it.  The ward is excited and we are hoping that this will help them to pick up the enthusiasm of missionary work.  We found out yesterday that Charlie is for sure not wanting to get baptized till August.  We were both a little disappointed, but have come to terms with it.  We know that one of us is going to be here in August so we won't let him slack.  I think this is one of the hardest things to adjust to on the mission is aligning our will with God's will and timing.  Things have been really going well in our area and we are hoping to find some new investigators this week to build up our teaching pool.
   Yesterday Sister hatch and I had to speak in church about missionary work, we really didn't have much time to prepare.  I feel like one thing that has gotten easier for me on my mission is public speaking and being able to free hand a talk on the spot.  Although this was an easy topic to talk about.  It was us that spoke and then the Bishop, he feels like the ward is getting complaisant and he wants them to step it up and help us to stay a little more busier as well. 
  I cannot believe that it is already transfers, we find out this Saturday what is going to happen.  I am kind of torn on what I want to happen, on one hand I love this area and want to stay and on the other I want some change as well.  We will see what happens.  So until you hear from me next Monday just send mail to the mission office on Cole road. Sorry this is a short one this week! Know that I love you all so much and I am loving every second of this time of my life.

Love,
   Sister Metcalf


Elvira got baptized on Saturday 

help clean a hoarders house. It was weird, everything was 5 years or newer.
She lost everything in a fire years ago so it explains why she holds onto
everything


Me and my companion
A cute kid in our ward
Me and the other missionaries
How to get your kids to do the laundry
More house hoarder pictures
Dug  a hole in a back yard and found this
Is swimming allowed? ;)



With our new convert

No comments:

Post a Comment