Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday October 7, 2013


 First Couple I stayed with
 Green Package from Mom
 Random Krammer painting in some ones house.
 Meridian South 
 Teaching the Pet pig
 Playing pratical joke on companion
First Trainee

Family and Friends,

Well it looks like I haven't broken the habit of being a procrastinator.  I decided to do e-mail last because a bunch of the missionaries I am friends with were wanting to go on a hike this morning.  That was a bad idea, it was fun but now I only have like 30 minutes to e-mail you and the mission president.Today was so good though and much needed.  We hike table rock, which was an awesome hike and it was just awesome to be around other missionaries and to just be talking and joking around.  And then their was sports afterwards, and I couldn't pass up on that either.  I ended up playing flag football and I ended up being the quarterback, let me just saw that I did not get any of Nathan skills.  I can get the ball there but it doesn't look pretty. hahaha But it was tons of fun.  I really have a greater appreciation for p-days, I truly believe that God created them for a reason.

Anyway this week has been really good and seemed to go by a little quickly.  We didn't get as many lessons taught as I would like but I am fine with that considering the circumstances.  I have been doing a lot better.  I am learning to laugh at things a lot more and I call Sister Dickey(my Sister Training Leader) every night when she showers and it helps to just get things off my chest so I can start the next day fresh and with a new slate.  We had a new missionary/trainer meeting this week as well.  At one point we split up into groups of new missionaries and the trainers went into another room.  We talked about things that are going well and things that are not going so well.  Of course I didn't say anything although when I was in the middle of writing things down, President called me out and asked  me what is going well in our companionship.  I think we wants the other sisters to have some positive thoughts on her.  I just said how she has taught me a lot about myself and that her as well as the Lord has shown me my weaknesses and what I need to work on.  I said how it has been a humbling experience, but I love it because I feel like I have grown so much closer with my Savior and Heavenly Father.  People notice things and so they are always asking how I am doing.  I just say that I am doing good and that there are difficulties just like in any other companionship.  We had dinner with one of the Lady's that works in the mission office.  The people that work in the mission office are amazing and are always looking out for me and making sure that I am doing okay.  Anyways we went to her daughter-in-laws house because her 10 year old has the same thing.  It was actually quite funny to see them interact, at one point my companion was doing something and the little girl said"aren't you a little to old to be doing that?" we all just busted up  laughing.I have learned to laugh at things now, when she doesn't notice, like at dinner one night she told the members how in Texas at her high school the varsity football coach asked if she would be the quarterback.  And how she was the 5th most popular girl in the school.  I was just laughing so hard.  I try but sometimes I can't hold it in.  She is getting a little too comfortable with the with the members, and it is not good.  She just walks into their house sometimes and I have to pull her back or she will go straight to their refrigerator to grab things without asking and isn't considerate about things.   I am seeming more and more of her lack of social skills I guess.  We have been trying to practice the lessons on members to help her but it doesn't seem to be helping much.  I thought a tight schedule would be good for her, but in the mornings she has trouble getting ready within an hour.  Yesterday it took her 1:40!!! Anyway I talked to her and now we are gonna do personal study right after working out which she does not do.  I am doing what I can but with some things I just have to let it go because I have done all I can and when I remind her of things we have talked about before she will get irritated with me and then I have to change the subject so she doesn't get too upset.

Yes I did get a chance to watch all 4 sessions of Conference yesterday! It was so good, I love hearing the Prophet and General authorities speak. We watch a session with a family yesterday whose son wants to get baptized but his father doesn't want him to.  Anyways their daughter has a friend who was there that watched it and she was really interested and felt like it had answered so questions she has.  She wants to learn more so I am super excited, we should possibly be picking her up as an investigator.  I telling you the youth are just looking for the gospel so much right now and I feel like the youth in our wards are doing an amazing job talking to their friends and bringing them out to activities. I am just so excited to go to the temple tomorrow!! It is much needed to recharge my spiritual batteries.  Things with our investigators are still the same.  The 14 year old(Alex), her dad wants to meet up with us this Sunday, we are hoping to resolve any concerns he has about the church and see if he will support her in her decision to get baptize.  I hope and pray her and another investigator who is 12 want to get baptized but the fathers don't want to allow it.  We picked up a new investigator this week she is in her 80's/.  She is so cute and I love old people, but it is tough teaching them let me tell you!! They just get off topic and ramble on.  It took us forever to teach her the first lesson but it was good.  She believes that it is all true, that Joseph Smith really did see the Father and the Son.  She has learned a lot about the church.  I extended a soft invitation to be baptize, if she comes to know that what we are teaching her is true and she agreed.  I am not getting my hopes up.  I am going by with sister Dickey this week, she has taught a lot of older people on her mission and will be able to give me a better idea if she is understanding it all.  Our investigator Brent moved out of his sister's house so we are trying to track him down.  I hope we find him so he can continue to take the lessons.  He was progressing so well!!! I could see him getting baptized!  
Anyways things are going good for me.  Know that I love you all and I hope that everything is going well!!!  Elder Holland's talk was amazing he said things that I needed to hear and helped me in my situations that I am in now.  

Well I got to go! Thanks for all your letters and packages.  Elise is a sneaky one.  On Saturday between sessions I mowed the lawn which felt really good to do by the way and Elise dropped off a package when I was mowing the front and I didn't even see her. hahaha Love it. My companion was freaking out/excited that she saw Elise.... I can't believe that I didn't see her!!!!! The people we lived with were shocked/proud that she didn't even say hello to me, they thought she was the ups person or something.
Follow the teachings from conference.  Us missionaries can't do it alone we need to work hand and hand with the members.  Talk to your friends, find little ways to bring up the gospel!!!

Love Sister Metcalf

P.S. I will have to just read you my journal when I get home.  I have some funny stories to tell about awkward encounters.  I am trying to embrace the awkward moments but it is not as easy as you thing

No comments:

Post a Comment