Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday May 5, 2014

This is not something we do,but become‏

Table rock
Random poster for a ginger fest hahaha 

This might have to be a short one this week, i spent a little more time this week responding to peoples emails individually.  This week has been a pretty good week for us, well we started off strong in the beginning of the week and started to die towards the end, and a little of that had to do with Stake Conference this weekend as well.  We finally got to meet with Elvira who is one of our golden referrals that we received a while back.  We had a really good lesson with her and gave her a Book of Mormon in her native language, she was so excited to begin to read it.  It has been really hard for us to meet with her because her life is so crazy and hectic and she works so much since she is a single mom to two kids.  Her children are just awesome and such good kids, we actually picked up her children this week as new investigators.  She is really trying to look for something religious and something that will bless and help her children as well. I see such great things for her in the future, now if the adversary could just stop getting in the way that would be perfect. But I guess that we don't live in a perfect world.
    We saw the Wilson's this week as well, Sister Hatch and I have been able to be really bold with him which has been great.  I feel like we have a good relationship with him, but are helping him see the blessings the gospel can bring into his life.  We are actually going to teach him the Restoration tonight, he has been visiting with missionaries for so long, but they haven't taught him anything really besides sharing scriptures for at least over a year.   We are anxious to see what will happen tonight, he likes to joke around a lot, so my companion and I have decided that we need it to be serious. And if he is joking about it that we are just gonna stop and explain to him how the things that we are teaching him are important to us and can change his life if he lets the spirit touch his heart.  I feel like he is progressing well though, we just need him to commit and strengthen his testimony.
   We also got to see one of our investigators Kent this week, he is one that the sisters were teaching a while ago, but he hasn't been taught a lesson in almost 4 months.  We usually see him outside and talk with him and his wife about things and they say they are gonna come to church but then it never happens.  So this last time we were straight up with him and sked what he wants from us and if he is serious about learning more or if he has that desire to learn more.  He kind of stopped and thought for a second, and he said that he truly does and he really has been slacking these last few months and been letting little things get in the way.  On the positive side he says he now has Sundays off work(he has been working crazy hours lately),which is just awesome.  He said how he is gonna start making church a priority and we are going to start teaching him again next Sunday as well. 
    So this week we met again with one of our investigators Ann, she is seriously so amazing! I love her, she is just so hard on herself and feels like she won't be able to live up to the "standards" of the other women in the church.  She thinks they are all so perfect, we had a nice long talk with her.  I feel like this was my week of being bold with everyone.  I kind of laid down the law with her and shared the scripture in Alma 34:32-34 about not procrastinating the day of her repentance.  That really hit her hard, she actually in that moment called the Stake Executive Secretary to set up an appointment to meet with the Stake President.  I really have grown a deeper love for her.  She expressed to me how I really push her, and it is hard, but she says this is what she needs and she is so grateful that I am her missionary right now in her life.  I expressed to her how much I love her and I push her because I know the blessings that she can receive from entering back into the gospel.  She has low self-esteem which is tough but she knows that we can talk to her all we want and build her up, but she needs to see in within herself first.  I told her how I want her to feel worthy when she enters in the waters of baptism, that when the Stake President says that she is ready that she should see him as a representative of the Lord. As if the Lord was there telling her that she is worthy and ready.  It seriously was such a powerful meeting a lesson with her.  This is the first time that she has really opened up to us and expressed what is holding her back.
   Looking back on this week I feel like there have been so many tender mercies from the Lord, we have been able to visit some less active members in the ward that we haven't met before.  Things have been really progressing, slowly, but it is happening.  I am just staying positive on everything.  I set a goal this week to remain positive and I feel like I have been tested on that, with possibly one of our investigators just up and moving somewhere else, running into anti people as well as not having gas yesterday so we had to walk around a bit.  Okay I know we should of been smarter about the gas thing, but I saw it as a blessing because we got to talk to so many people on the street.  Not much came from it, but we did receive coupons from a lady.
    Stake Conference this week was so good, Elder Bats came and spoke and he is seriously so great! HE was so funny and at the same time had some really good things to say. A lot of good one liners. One that I want to pass off to you all is to "Get the missionaries off the streets" hahaha but seriously members need to give missionaries referrals for their friends to see.  God is trusting us that we will take care of his children.  This work is really not that complicated.  We just are to express love to others.  When we love our brothers and sisters, that is what changes lives and we need to continually invite, they have their agency to choose what they may.  Their are members of the church that have fallen away that are just wanting to feel apart of something.  Missionary work is not something that we do, but what we become.  Know that there is no such thing as "no" in hastening the work, when others say they are not interested, they are just saying they need a little more time.  I really like that idea and it is so true when you think about it.  We need to be a light in the world, but that desire to share the gospel has to come from within.  We need to do the little things to strengthen our testimonies, not just church, pray ,and read the scriptures, but bear your testimony.  Say to yourself everyday so you never forget it.  Tell your children, grandchildren, spouses, friends, whoever so often so that they know that you have a testimony of the gospel.  You can't just bottle it up and expect people to know that you have a testimony.  It doesn't have to be done at church.  John 14:18, look it up.  I know there are a lot of random thoughts in here, but this is some of the things that I pulled away from the seventy(Elder Bats) that came.  He made me want to be more bold and just track every house, I am gonna try to be a little more witty at the door when people respond to us. For example if some says they aren't a member, i want to respond "your not? well you seem like such a great guy that you would be a member? Do you want to learn more?"  It is kind of hard to express what I am thinking right now, but overall I just loved it.
   I want you all to know that I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the fullness of the Christ gospel on the earth today.  There is no doubt in my mind that Joseph Smith saw our Heavenly Father and our Savior.  I know that we have a prophet today to lead and guild us, just like prophets of old.  God still loves us, so why wouldn't he still have prophets on the earth.  I know that the message that us missionaries have to share can bless the life of everyone.  I am so grateful for this opportunity that can see the happiness that it can bring into peoples lives and see them change their life around!  There is no other thing nor no other place I rather be then out her sharing the gospel to others. I Promise you that if you kneel down in faith and pray to our Father in heaven to have a missionary experience he will give it to you!
   I love you all and miss you!!! Thank you for all your love and support.

Love
Sister Metcalf
 Random swarm of bees,seriously so gross and like an inch think of bees piled on each other 

      

 Breakfast on the porch
Boise State, got to represent I guess

No comments:

Post a Comment