Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March 31, 2014

Okay so I took Nathan's advice and took notes through out the week in my planner of things that had happened, but this week we had weekly planning and we do new planners for each month. Well today i grabbed my new planner, but then I left my old planner at home! So that planned failed, but I am going to try to do my best to remember all that has happened this week.

   We visit a part member family each Monday night and do family home evening with them. The dad is not a member and has taken the missionary discussions before.  He told us he knows he needs to get baptized, but they don't go to church.  They use to go all the time a year an half ago, but i don't know why they don't now. Every time we talk to them about they have an lame excuse why, I just need to be bold with him. I almost just want to drop them, but my companion has been seeing them for six months and doesn't want to just yet. We have been trying to make little commitments to them like nightly family prayer and scripture reading hoping that that will lead to them coming to church. We will see what will happen there.

   On Tuesday we went on exchanges with one of the sisters that we are over and I ended up going to their area. IT is crazy how different the areas are just within Boise, such a small city but you have all these different areas.  Anyways we ended up doing service most of the day, we weeded someones yard for like 2 hours, that is something that I do not miss doing back at home with you mom.  But it was a great opportunity for me to talk with the sister that I am over and see how things are really going.  After that we went to another service project, apparently the ward had a service auction or something and somehow someone bought two hours of the sisters time to drain a fish pond.  I didn't think that it was going to be such a big deal but, that water had been sitting there for 3 years!!! There were some dead fish in there with toys, you name it and it was in there. We brought a drain thing, but couldn't use it because their were so many leaves that it kept clogging it up.  We ended up doing all by hand, i wish that i could describe the smell to you, the closest thing that I could describe it is putting all the animal droppings from a petting zone and condensing it down to a water form of 3 feet and letting it sit there for years.  Luckily we were blessed and we didn't get sick! I have been converted to never getting a coy pond in  my backyard.  The rest of the night went really well, we went to go see one of their investigators that is on the verge of dropping them as well as a less active that they haven't been able to get in the door with.  It is so amazing how much more bold I am able to be when I go on exchanges, I don't know what it is.  I am bold in my area, but I wish i could be even more like when I go to other areas.  It's hard to explain, but I am pretty sure Megan understands what I am saying.

     Thursday we had a Sister's Conference that was really good! It was kind of long, but all the things that were discussed was needed. Each companionship of STL's were assigned to train/talk to the sisters on a subject.  Sister Allen and I talked about Companionship unity, Companionship Inventory, obedience dealing specifically with music, and how to build up your companionship.  It over all went really well, i had an elder in our district write us a song about companionship unity which me and my companion sung in the beginning.  The girls really liked it.  Later that night we saw one of our investigators, Caleb.  Things are going well for him, he has gone to church these last two weeks and is progressing well.  We invited him to be baptized and he said yes.  Just like Megan said, we now have to help him truly investigator and come to a surety that this is the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is tough to teach him at times because he is at a lower reading/education level then he should be at, but I know that they Lord will make up the difference and the spirit will help him with that.

   Overall things have been really good this week. My companion and I are continually working with less actives.  We did end up getting dropped by one of our investigators this week, it was hard, but I knew it was for the best.  I had a feeling that this wasn't her time.  She did say that we helped her grow closer to God and to start going back to the Catholic church. I almost wanted to laugh when she said that to us.  But she told us that is what she is familiar with, it is hard to have to push yourself out of your comfort zone.  I can see her joining down the road and I know that we have planted some seeds that will be nourished down the road.  Right now I just have a drive of finding new investigators, I know that there are people out here that are being prepared and I just need to find them.  My companion and I set some really good goals this week and have the faith that we can see miracles.  I feel like I need to build up the comradery in the ward with missionary work. When we told the Bishop that we have the faith to have a baptism by the end of June, he didn't seem too thrilled or show much faith in us.  But I haven't let that get us down! 

   My birthday was really good this year, it really was like any other day in the mission field but with cake and ice cream.  The sisters that I lived with decorated the apartment and baked me a cake and for lunch our whole district went out as well as a few other sisters that I have grown close with, it was pretty good.  I was really hoping to find a new investigator as a birthday present to me, but no such luck.  Thank you for all the letters, packages, gifts, and testimonies. It made my birthday even better. Yesterday in PEC all the men auxiliary leaders sand Happy Birthday to me, it was pretty great.  My companion did a good job the whole week and the day of telling everyone how it was my Birthday.

  Funny story for the week, on Saturday we had a baptism in our ward for a girl who had turned 8 and she had asked us to go.  When we got there everyone was rushing around.  We found out that no one had cleaned the font so when they had filled it up it was super gross, will hair and gunk floating around.  SO they had to drain it clean it as quick as they can and then fill it back up.  People were rushing back and forth from the kitchen to try and fill up the font.  The funniest part is that the city was flushing the city water by there so the water still came out yellow.  We just told the little girl that it was like getting baptized in a river like Jesus hahahaha And the water was still super low so the dad had to dip her back really far to get her all the way under.  Defiantly an event that I will never forget.

   Hope things are going well on everyone else's ends.  Know that I love you and miss you all! Keep being that example to those around you.  I pray for each and everyone of you every night! I love you and keep praying for me, i need it! Love you!

Sister Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment