Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday November 18th, 2013

Familia,
     Sounds like things at home are going well.  Thank you all for your letters and emails, they have been so good to read. This week I am a little scattered on my thoughts so I am just going to write my letter like how I did last week.

1) Mom and Dad have smart phones now? I never thought this day would come.  Of course once Megan and I leave then the family switches over to smart phones and what not.  Don't be texting and driving or talking on the phone.

2) Last week I forgot to mention a cool experience that my zone had on preparation day.  We went hiking at table rock which was a ton of fun.  We were all sitting up at the top and there was a guy who was about 25 sitting up there as well.  Sister Dickey and I ended up starting up a conversation with him, he told us how he is moving to North Dakota for work and is contemplating about some things.  We got talking and the other 6 missionaries joined in and talked about random things and then we started talking about missions.  A little about transfers, companionship, things we are allowed and not allowed to do.  He started talking about the bible and religious beliefs and we asked him what he has heard about the LDS church.  HE said not much.  He asked all of us what we all liked about the gospel and we all pretty much bore our testimony to him about things.  I asked him if he reads the Bible a lot and he says he does quite often and I asked him if he would be interesting in reading the Book of Mormon.  One of the Elders had a BofM in his bag and pulled it out.  It was such a cool experience.  Its crazy the people that come into your lives, it was just such a perfect moment and setting that we talked to him, it was so peaceful and the spirit was so strong.  We told him about Mormon.org and he said he would read the Book of Mormon and we told him to look up the missionaries when he got to North Dakota.  I don't know what will happen to him, but that was such a neat experience to have.

3)This week has been pretty good for us, not exactly the numbers we would like and none of our investigators are progressing, but it was still a good week with less actives and part member families.  The two investigators we found last week we passed off to the Spanish branch.  That was so hard for me to do, especially when I have been trying so hard to find new investigators, but I know that the Spanish branch will be the best place for them.  

4) I keep forgetting to tell you all the success we are having with less actives and part member families.  We got into a part member home that the ward has been trying to get into for weeks.  I literally have been stopping by the home for 6 weeks in a row! Each time they were either at home or were two busy. We saw a miricle the other week because we stopped by and the dad finally let us in!!! He is a return missionary and his wife is a member but they have 3 children 16,13,11 that have not been baptized.  We talked and it was a really good conversation.  I finally bit the bullet and got down to the nitty gritty.  I asked him if he is able to come to church often and why not.  I was straight up with him about things.  I felt like if this was my only chance to talk with him then I would be going out guns blazing.  Sister Dickey was there to back me up and Sister Roberson was at home sick which made a difference.  We basically found out that he doesn't have a strong testimony anymore.  We talked about the importance of raising the kids in the gospel.  We decided that we will be coming over to do some Family Home Evening with them, which is so awesome and is a huge step for them.  There are a few ward members that are friends with them that we talked to yesterday, they are just so shocked and thrilled that we got into their home.  Apparently after our talk with him the sons now will be going to scouts and their dad has been supportive and excited for them.  I am excited to work with this family.

5) We also got into a home of a part member family that are in their late 60s.  The husband is a member and was sealed in the temple, but got a divorced and remarried to this nonmember.  It took the home teacher months to get into his home, and he is rarely home.  We were driving around this week trying to find people that were home in the middle of the day to visit, I saw that his garage door was open and so I felt like we had to stop by there.  So I turned around and we went back.  He was the only one home and invited us in.  We had such a good talk with him.  He told us how he knows and believes that the Church is true and has a testimony of everything.  But he likes to drink his wine with his wife once in a while.  We had a good talk and we invited him to church which he said he would like to come.  This was so awesome because he hasn't been in years to church.  Sadly he didn't come yesterday but I know that he will come, we just have to keep stopping by and visiting with him.  The cool thing was is that he wants us to come back and meet his wife, he thinks that she will open minded about it but that we shouldn't pressure her.  I see potential there.  I love going to ward councils and telling them about the visits that we have been having with these families and the surprise and shock on their faces of the homes we are able to get into.

6) I so wish we had more progressing investigators, but I know that the work that I am doing is pressing the work along and the work is hastening here.  Working with less actives and part member families is a lot of our focus.  I am trying to focus on the positives here and look for the little miracles each and everyday.  I have been so blessed out here and have seen so many miracles, I just need to recognize them more.

7)We also like to go and visit the older people during the day.  We actually visited a Part member couple in their 80s.  The husband is a teacher and the wife is not a member.  We got in the door and spoke to the wife because the husband was out hunting hahaha. Anyways we talked with her and asked for service and she graciously excepted which was awesome.  We got to talking with her and she told us how she investigated years ago and loved how everything is about families.  She wants her husband to be all in before she joins the church.  We will work with her on that and work on the husband as well.  They have an active daughter that was out visiting a few months ago.  I see potential there as well.  I see it all around me, I am just trying to figure out how to get the snowball rolling.  I know that once it starts that it will keep on going.  I am hoping that in two weeks that I will end up staying in this area.  I feel like there is so much work that is about to happen in these two wards that I am covering.

8) Dad are the missionaries visiting the elderly in the ward and spending time with them? They do not realize how much of a blessing it is to them.  I know if might now be "progressing" the missionary work along, but I think of how important it is for us to strengthen everyone, not matter what

9) So here is a side note from my story from #5.  We were visiting with Brother Gomm and Sister Roberson had to go to the bathroom, which is normal.  She was kind of in there for a long time and when she came back out it smelled like acetone.  So I touched her nails and they were a little sticky-ish.  When we left I asked her why it smelled like acetone when she walked out.  Apparently she felt the need to paint her nails in a less actives home!!! I was just like seriously?! Are you that bored?! I couldn't believe it, she amazes me everyday.  It makes me wonder all the other times that she has gone to the bathroom.

10) Also she gets very distracted easily.  So many times this week we will share a message with a less active and will be talking about the importance of prayer or church attendance and the next thing we know she is asking what their cat is doing.  Or where they got a painting.  She kind of changes topics and the spirit is gone and it is hard to get back to the topic we were on.  I try to skip over her comments and bring things back, but I feel like she has been with me for so long that she has caught on.  When she wants to talk about something or say something she will keep going back to it until she gets what she says out.

11) We had dinner with a family this week.  Who was living in El Paso Texas 12 years ago.  Sister Roberson claimed that she saw them 10 years ago when she was visiting.  So funny.  Let me tell you that she can pack salads away!!! She could put a Tongan to shame with how much she can eat.  I always feel bad because she eats the last of the members foods and if they don't have a salad she will rudely ask for one.  I have tried to address this with her put there is no helping this matter.

12) Saturday we made copies at the church library and apparently Sister Roberson decided to go threw the lost and found and she took a watch without us knowing.  It was later in the day that I heard a beep and I saw that she had a watch one, she has never had one before.  I was so upset!!! I am tired of dealing with this, i hope that I will be able to make it the next few weeks with her.  My patience is so thin right now.  I feel like I am always angry inside, okay I really am not put some days are hard and I keep all my emotions in side.  On those days I just want to go home a yell in my pillow or something.  It's tiring to watch her like a hawk and when I stop to breathe something happens and then I have to tighten the reigns again.

13) This week was the first time in this area that I met a less active that was angry and hostile to us.  Interesting story that I will tell you sometime, and he happened to be a red head.  Sister Dickey and I ended up just laughing when we got back to the car.  I feel like I have been laughing a lot more this transfer which has been nice and makes the hard times easier to deal with.

Sorry that this all doesn't make sense, I will have to explain things better when I get home and have you read my journal.  Know that all is well and that I miss you all!!!! Love you so much.  I read this talk by President Thomas S. Monson this week that you should all read, it is called " I Will Not Fail, Thee, nor Forsake thee" "Our Heavenly Father … knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass."  I have been studying the atonement this past week as well and have been reading a bunch of talks on the subject.  It is just so amazing to be and I feel like I am continually learning more and more and have been growing a greater appreciation for my Savior.  I will send you some of the talks sometimes(Megan I don't know if these are the same talks you got, Sister Dickey got this packet around Easter time that I have been reading.)
I love you and miss you all!!!!!!! Your in my prayers every morning and night.
Love 
Sister Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment