Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday July 21, 2014

"Sometimes the journey is more than the destination"‏

I can't believe that Monday is already here again, I feel like the further you get along in your mission the quicker it goes.  This week has kind of been an up and down week for us, so really just your typical missionary week.  Charlie is doing really well, we finished up the commandments with him so tonight we just have to teach him the last few laws and ordinances that we didn't tie into previous lessons.  It kind has been a little of adjustment teaching lesson 5, but I kind of like it. I feel like we are helping people connect baptism and the temple and helping them see that baptism is just a step.  He is super excited for his baptism this week and he even has started counting down the days!  Funny story from our lesson this week.  So usually his wife is the one that sits in on the lessons but that night she got called into work so we met with him at the church and we got the Bishop's wife to come(after calling like 20 other people). Side note: can i just tell you that whenever someone gets close to baptism anytime that they call us I always feel like they are calling to give us bad news, especially with Charlie. Just a few more days and i won't have to worry about that. Anyway so we were at the church and teaching him the rest of the commandments lesson and we talked to him about obeying and honoring the law.  One thing you have to understand about Charlie is he likes to kid and joke a lot, we are use to this but sometimes others think that he is serious.  So he asks us if marijuana becomes legal in Idaho, would it be okay for him to grow and sell it.  He said he would be obeying and honoring the law, and he knows that he wouldn't be using it because it is against the word of wisdom.  I just started laughing and the bishop's wife just looks shocked.  I explained to Charlie that he shouldn't because it would be like Satan in the Garden of Eden tempting Adam and Eve. He was just like "Oh, okay. Ya I guess that wouldn't be good since I have three kids."  I guess this story gives you a little more insight into the type of person that he is.  But I seriously love him and I have loved teaching him.  He knows when to be serious and he has such a strong testimony of the gospel.
    So this week we had leadership exchanges.  Pretty much it is just a mass exchange in the mission and we have a training from President Winder.  This time he decided to talk to us about Recognizing the Spirit. I think the Lord was trying to prepare me for it because on Tuesday we still hadn't heard from our dinner and we had called them a couple of times and left them a message.  So by 530 we decided to just go eat on our own, we ended up going to subway(FYI, i am a little sick of that place, no more gift cards there por favor. well we don't go as often anymore but last transfer we went a lot). Anyway so as we were heading over there I told my companion that i had this feeling that we were going to get there and order our food and then dinner was going to call us. Well literally two minutes after we had finished eating dinner called us and asked if we were still gonna come over.  One of the people that lives with them is less active so we couldn't pass up on that opportunity, so i paid for not listening to the promptings by having two dinners hahaha Anyway the training was really good though on Thursday and President showed the series by Elder Bednard, if you haven't seen them recently i highly suggest going back and re-watching them.  My district leader asked me as well to do the training at District Meeting this week as well, so wish me luck. I love training but I dislike training for it.
    Another funny story from the week is while on exchanges, in the other sisters area a member asked if she could use her tazer on us. Yep you read that right. She is like 21, but i seriously was thinking why would you think it was okay to taze missionaries.  Anyway I told her no and that she shouldn't ask any other missionaries because it would not be okay.  It was just kind of funny in the moment.
   We saw Elvira this week as well, we have been trying to separate teaching her daughter and her since we have to teach her the new member lessons.  I seriously love her.  She has such great faith and I feel like i have seen such a change in her life.  I will tell you that on Sunday I wanted to cry though.  So Sister Hatch and I were heading to PEC and Elvira's ward meets before ours so we were walking by the chapel and looked in and her and her daughter were there, sitting by themselves.  This is one thing that is tough in this stake and even in our ward. We talked a little bit with Bishop about it because whenever we talk to less actives or even active members and they talk about how they struggle with the ward.  The members are nice and friendly, but it is kind of at the surface, they need to form deeper connections.  For example there are a couple in the ward that we have had dinner with a couple of times and we have gotten to know them really well.  Well last week the wife went into the hospital because of possibly delivering her baby early, a lot of the people didn't even know she was pregnant and we knew back in March and she is due in September.  We talked to bishop how we want to extend to every active member we see to sit by someone different each week and get to know them.  Everyone usually sits in the same spots every single week. Sister Hatch and I have been really trying to figure out how to strengthen the ward.  Bishop felt like this was a good idea and he felt like the ward is getting really complacent.  So i want to extend that same commitment to all of you back at home, sit next to someone you don't know very well or maybe of someone that you think you know and get to know them really well. Reach out to everyone in the ward.
   Yesterday at church though was really good, we had a lot of visitors, i love greeting people when they come in and when they are leaving as a missionary and helping the visitors feel welcomed. Also a serious miracle this week. So there is a less active couple in the ward that we have been trying to meet but they seriously avoid members like the plague. Well this week we finally got in and it was such a good visit! They said how they really needed to come back to church and they had just gotten out of the habit and how they needed someone to tell them that they would save them a seat. So yesterday they showed up to church and they actually saved us a seat! It was so amazing, i love seeing less actives come to church.  I really do truly feel like I have seen so much success in this area, in all different aspects of missionary work.
   I seriously am in love with my mission and it makes me sad that I have already been out for a year, time is going by too quickly! I love you all so much and I hope that all is well with you and that you are enjoying your summer!

Love
Sister Metcalf

P.S. Every night we like to send out quotes to the sisters that we are over so if you got any good quotes, wither they be uplifting or funny

 One of my favorite sisters in the mission-Sister Whightman, she leaves in a few weeks :(

No comments:

Post a Comment