Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Monday December 16, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,
      Let me start off by saying that I am freezing my Rastafarian nee-nees off hahaha if you don't understand that quote you should go watch cool running.  But honestly I am doing pretty good with keeping warm, I am truly blessed to have a car.  That helps a ton.  It is pretty cold here, you can ask Jensa and Elise that.  Usually snow is suppose to melt the next day or a few days after here, but that isn't happening.  We still have snow on the ground from over a week ago, but now most of it has turned into ice.  I haven't fallen....yet.  I love the winter time though, it looks so pretty, I just wish that it didn't have to be so chilly, it warmed up to the 30s this weekend which was really nice.  Mom you better pack warm clothes for your trip hahaha  Thank you so much for the boots, I seriously have worn them everyday since I have gotten them and they have come in handy a ton!
    So there are a lot of big changes here going on in our mission or at least it feels that way.  We had Zone meeting on Friday and there are few changes going on with our key indicators.  We use to count active members as a lesson(RC/LA), but now they are totally cutting that out.  We only count less actives and recent converts now.  Its hard to explain over email, maybe Nathan can explain it to you all.  So basically have the lessons we would teach are not being counted, but we are still expected to reach a goal of 20 lessons a week.  Meaning I am going to have to start working even harder to reach those goals because we still are encouraged to visit with active members and work with them to receive referrals. Also our mission President has felt inspired to set a goal for the mission as a whole to find 500 new investigators by January 7th, 2014!  That is so crazy to me, but I have faith that we can achieve that goal.  We have already found 128 last week so I totally feel like it is possible.  We had ward council in one of the wards yesterday and I told them about this and how us missionaries are going to need their help.  I told them how I have faith that we can achieve this and that I can not wait to see the plans that the Lord has in-stored for this area.  I told them how our mission is the smallest mission in the church geographically and that we still have tons of missionaries coming out each transfer.  The Lord is preparing this area for something big, I mean he is building another temple here just ten minutes away from the Boise one.  It gives me chills every time I tell members this, I feel like it is a ticking time bomb here in our mission.  
    I feel that way about my area as well.  Things are progressing here, but not as much as I would like.  I know that I am just planting the seeds for the next missionaries that come along, there is so much potential and some many people just right there and ready but are holding back.  I know that when things start happening in this area that it is going to be big.  We are picking up a new investigator this week, he is an over age youth in the ward.  We talked to the parents about teaching him and they have agreed and so we just need to start teaching him.  There are a few other older people in the ward that want us to start teaching a couple of their grandchildren that they bring to church with them because their parents are not active, that won't happen until the beginning of the year though.  Still trying to get our investigators now to be progressing but I have a feeling that with one or two of them I am just going to have to drop them.  Hopefully they will begin to gain that desire on their own and want to meet with the missionaries again. I have planted all my seeds for them but if they aren't going to nourish them they will not grow.  I still am praying for the two kids that we are working with whose dads don't want them to get baptized.  They want to make that commitment, but they have to wait for both parents approval.
    Right now I am trying to find that balance with finding new investigators.  I love my new companion, don't get me wrong, but she just wants to track 24/7.  I am trying to help her understand that tracking is good, but we shouldn't be focusing our time on that sorely.  There are more effective ways to find people to teach.  Working with the less actives and part member families are just as important and she doesn't see that yet so I am trying to find that balance as well as helping her find that balance as well.  I know working with members is the best way to go,but nothing we haven't been receiving referrals or meeting their friends.  They want to help us out but they are scared to take that next step with their neighbors or friends.  I don't want to give up on working with them, but I need to figure out how to get the ball rolling with them because I truly believe that is the best possible ways to find people to teach who are ready to be taught.
    So it seems the Lord was giving me a little break from trios or something because my mission president talked to me last week about getting a third companion.  She was kept in the MTC a little bit longer because she didn't know English very well, no this isn't the Samoan.  She is from Honduras and was suppose to come in last transfer.  Apparently the Lord and my Mission President still think I am capable of training two missionaries at the same time and  with one that doesn't speak English very well.  We are picking her up from the mission office tomorrow.  I am kind of excited because I love Trios, I have been in them for most of my mission. 
    Funny story from the week. So the first day that we decided to begin tracking I was driving down a street and saw this older man walking so I decided to pull down a near by street and we were going to "walk into him".  By the time we had got out of the car and got back on the street the man had turned around to start heading home.  My companion and I followed him for a block and a half trying to catch up to him.  When he got to his house and by his front door we called out to him and tried talking to him.  When we told him who we were he said "so your missionaries..." we said yes and he just said have a good day and went inside.  My companion and I just started laughing at what had happened.  Us following him for a block and a half isn't the funny story.  Two days later we were at our ward Christmas party and that same old man came up to me!  He talked to me how we saw him the other day and he told us how he thought we were Jehovah witnesses and that we were trying to hit on him(im pretty sure that last comment was a joke) Anyways turns out he is a member but was visiting his daughter, who we haven't met yet, that lives in the ward for the holidays.  Well at least I am trying.  No success yet with knocking on doors, if any of you return missionaries know any good door or street approaches be sure to let me know.  I have tried them all.  My companion wants to go caroling, I said we would, but I am not looking forward to that hahaha
    Know that things are going well, yes there is struggles and difficult times, but that is all part of the missionary life.  If everything was so easy and perfect that I wouldn't be learning and growing.  I hope you are all working with the missionaries and helping them find someone to teach.  I love you all and miss you all so much.  I haven't really figured out when I am going to Skype yet or not, but I promise to get you all those details later.  Make sure to send me the information of who you are wanting me to call to Skype with.
    Slow down this holiday season and don't focus on the gifts you want to give or receive this year.  Although we should be thinking of our Savior year round.  I hope that you take more time this season to think about the importance our Savior has played in your life.  I am so grateful for this time of year to remember our saviors birth.  I know that He Lives and that through Him we can find peace and joy in our trials in life. This time of year is a great opportunity to talk to those around you about their beliefs and why they celebrate Christmas.  Find opportunities to give good gifts to our Savior. D&C 19:29.Christmastime is the perfect season to study and learn more about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, who promises, “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you” (D&C 88:63).

Love
Sister Metcalf
 Breanne enjoying the cold!

 Mom sent another package- boots!
 And another package- Christmas tree!
Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment