Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday January 12, 2015

"Timing is Everything"

So let me start off with some pretty exciting news, well at least to me it is.  This week was the week that I was grateful that I extended for those two extra days, everyone else laughed but it is paying off.  So earlier in the week I got a call from the sisters that serve in the Summerset ward that called to tell me that Henry Cuiellar (his wife and two kids got baptized a few months ago. They are someone that I had found in that area) is getting baptized!!! And it is going to be on the 25th! I am so excited for that, but I am more excited for him and his family.  Such a tender mercy that I will be able to see one last one of my investigators enter the waters of baptism before I leave.
    The other exciting news is that Elder Russell M. Nelson(random fact did you know he is 90! Ya I wouldn't of guessed it either) is coming to visit the mission!!! On the 24th at 8:00! So if I would of left on my scheduled day I would of for sure had missed him.  I can not tell you all how excited I am to meet an apostle of the Lord, I was really hoping to meet one on my mission and the Lord pulled through right towards the end.  I mean I would of been find not seeing one, but I am just that much more excited. On the bright side if I have a heart attack at least he could be my surgeon hahaha 
    This week was a pretty good week for us with teaching opportunities, I feel like the further and further I have gotten along in my mission the more I see the Lord's hand in everything and the tender mercies.  Things with Amber are going so well, we talked to her about Baptism and she decided that she wanted to pray about the day when she wanted to get baptized.  She is really grasping onto everything.  One of the main obstacles is getting her to church, it is weird because she has that strong desire to go.  She knows that she needs to go to receive the blessings, but with work she is a nurse at an assisted living home and she is at the bottom of the totem pole.  So she has to work Sundays, she says there is a slim chance that she might be able to get it them off since there is going to be a change in supervisors. A part of me wanting to write her boss and tell her how important it was for her to have Sundays off so she could go to church. I ended up leaving it in the Lord's hands hahahaha She is just so great and so prepared, I am excited for her.
    So this week we had zone meeting and it was really good, they talked a lot about building up the mission and how we can fruther along the work in the Great Idaho Boise Mission.  So the zone leaders challenged all of us to from that point on until Sunday night to go and try to find a new investigator.  They then had us go pray about it in our companionship's to get a confirmation of it.  So fast forward to later that night, all of our plans fell through for the 8:00 time frame, this I feel like is sometimes the hardest time to work as a missionary.  Everyone we tried was not home or was busy.  We pulled the car to the side of the road trying to figure out where we should go and what we should do.  I said a little prayer in my heart and instantly Rebecca's name popped into my head.  Rebecca is someone that Sister Broberg and I had tracted into over a month ago with "He is the Gift". We had seen her one time previously but nothing had really come of it.  Well we stopped by her place and she allowed us right in. It was so amazing to see the Lord guide everything so perfectly for us.  She started talking to us about her feelings towards the church, a lot of it were misconceptions of things.  She told us how her main issue was how we "worship Joseph Smith", I think that is a common what that I hear out here, but then she added about how he is even on top of our temple.  That I had never heard before, she said it was something that someone had told her, we explained to her who it was a tried to give a simplified version.  It lead us into to talking to her about the Book of Mormon and if she had ever read it before, she said she had not.  We explained about how we believe in both the Book of Mormon and the Bible.  That had shocked her, she said she never knew that.  We introduced the Book of Mormon to her and invited her to begin reading which she accepted.  She said that she wanted to learn more and for us to straighten out all these misconceptions she has heard about our church.  It was such an amazing lesson. I am excited to begin to teach her before I go home.  She is having surgery this week though, but she wants us to come by before she goes, so that is a positive.
     Another tender mercy was that the McEvoy family made it to church this week! I can't even tell you how excited I was to see them walk in the door, the joy I felt was unexplainable.  They were gonna go to their old ward because one of their good friends was having their baby blessed at 11.  Well we stopped by Saturday night to try to invite them to 9am because Sister Smith and I were speaking and she said that she wouldn't miss it. I was bummed that we couldn't sit with them but we promised her next week that we would.  And next week they plan on staying for all three hours.  In church my topic I focused on was us as members being the "light of the world". One thing that my mission has helped me with is giving talks, that is for sure.  I can easily free hand my talks now and just talk, it is such a weird feeling.  I am so use to just reading what I have written down, but I love just being guided by the spirit of what I should talk about.  Is it weird to say that I kind of like giving talks now(don't get any ideas and sign me up for talks anytime soon). But that is one thing that I am grateful for.
    Well it's that time again. I can't believe I will only be e-mailing you one last time before I go home.By the way next week is Martin Luther King day so you might not hear from me till Tuesday since the Libraries are closed. Anyway, where has the time gone?! Seriously. I love you all so much!
Love 
Sister Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment