Monday, October 20, 2014

Monday October 20, 2014

"500 houses and 500 Mouses"-Krispy Kreme

Sorry for the lateness of my letter, sometimes the library gets pretty busy and the computers kick you off after a certain amount of time.  So after the first time getting kicked off we decided to go off for our preparation Day and go do some fun things.  We went to go race some slot cars, I will have to send you some pictures next week(i don't have the cord to moms old camera on me to send you the pictures).  
    Things have been going pretty good here in our area. This week has been an up and down week once again.  It feels like this is the week where we did a lot of filtering either by us or by the people themselves.  I guess the Lord is pushing me to increase my faith in him.  If there was a key indicator for the number of people not interested this week I think we would win hahaha Some people were first contact visits, but there were a couple of people who we had been working with that dropped us.  Those ones were hard for me because they were people that I had grown to love and it breaks my heart that this isn't the time for them to come back to church.  We also decided this week that one of our investigators that we had been working with we will probably drop as well.  She just isn't keeping her commitments and she really isn't willing to change at the moment.  She says she wants to reconnect with the religion that she grew up with(catholic) before she makes any decisions.  But honestly I know that we are filtering the people to better focus on those that are prepare and to find those that the Lord is preparing for us.  It reminds me of this video found on the Mormon channel(http://www.mormonchannel.org/) That sometimes the Lord cuts us back and sometimes our teaching pool to better prepare us.  It might not make a lot of sense to you, but to me it does.
    I felt like this happened this week to me with the Lord.  On Thursday we went on exchanges with some of our sisters and I ended up staying in our area.  The night before I was super excited because we had an appointment scheduled from 10am all the way until 8pm at night and a couple of them were with some potential investigators.  Well as the day went on almost all of our appointments cancelled except for dinner and one with our recent converts.  That night I felt defeated, I felt like what the current bush, I was just baffled that this had happened especially because some of our appointments we had are ones that we have at the same time every single week.  It was in that moment where the Lord broke me down and revealed something to me that I had been doing this whole week.  Because to be honest up until that point a lot of our week had been pretty much.  It was during our weekly planning session while setting goals for myself for this upcoming week that I prayed to the Lord to find out what I needed to work on or learn this week.  It came to me that I needed to have more faith driven prayers.  It was in that moment and those next few days during our study sessions that I realized that I had almost been pleading with the Lord/ hoping that these people we were planning on seeing would be home.  I realized that I needed to pray with faith and have the confidence that those people were going to be home and that they were going to let us in.
    Those next two days after that realization totally changed my way of thinking and as I applied it to my life it was amazing to see the changes.  We were able to get a lot of unplanned lessons and to get into some peoples homes that we have been trying to see since I have been here.  I know that it was a tender mercy from the Lord, I noticed a lot of them that he put into our path.  One of them that sticks out to me was on one of our long days.  We went to go visit a less active family that got home from Africa a few weeks ago because they were down picking up their two sons that they had adopted.  When we went to go try them the wife answered the door with a knife in her hand.  We all kind of started laughing because she didn't realize she was still holding onto it.  Turns out that she was making cardboard houses for her kids.  We asked if she needed help and she agreed.  So we got to have a little fun with the kids(ill have to send the pictures next week) and we got to visit with the family and talk to them a little bit.  It was a little stress relief that we needed while still doing missionary work of course, i consider that service hahaha
    So story for the week: so Sunday morning my companion and I went out to our car to head to church and when she opened the door, there was a mouse in there!!! Yep a mouse in our car!!! It was crazy, we were freaking out.  We thought it ran out the car, but to be safe we left a cracker on the floor of the car during to church to double check.  Well after we got out of church(7 hours later). the whole cracker was gone! Like no sign of it missing! No crumbs! We thought that we might not of left it there for a minute.  But that night we set up a mouse trap(which took us like 10 minutes to figure out hahaha) Went out this morning and we had caught it!!!! It was kind of gross, but we hope that that was the only one.  Everyone we have told, our district leaders, other sisters, and the people in the office have laughed at us.  They said that was the first time that they had heard that before.  I guess the Lord gave me a little taste of what it would of been like serving foreign hahaha
    Yesterday in one of our wards was the primary program, it made me think of back at home with our primary programs.  Those kids were so cute, and it is just amazing how you can feel the spirit when little kids sing and speak.  It is also pretty inspired by the First Presidency that the theme for this year was "Families can be Together Forever"
   I love you all so much and am so grateful for your love, prayers, and support.  I hope you all have a great week! Here are some pictures of our last few pdays(1-playing sports in the rain and a ditch turned into a fun puddle to play in 2)fishing, not much luck but I caught 1!)

Love
Sister Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment