Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday, August 26, 2013

Familia and amigos,

This week has felt like a whirlwind, I feel like p-day was just yesterday in a way.  My companions and I are starting to stay a little more busy.  We have 3 total investigators right now. They are all going pretty well and progressing at different paces.  We taught Joe the first lesson which went really well.  He is just an golden investigator, he does all the things that we assign him right away.  Tonight we are teaching him the plan of Salvation, and we are hoping to commit him to baptism tonight, I feel like he is so ready.  He just needs to take a leap of faith.  We are also going to be teaching Josh tonight as well.  I mentioned a little bit about him last week.  He is really educated and his a big believer in the Bible.  So when we teach him we need to use the bible until we can get him to gain a testimony of the book of Mormon.  He has gone through a few sets of missionaries before and he even said at one point that he was ready to get baptized.  Apparently there was so mix up on something and he still has a grudge of it.  We have been straightening that out for him.  He is defiantly our toughest investigators that we have to teach.  He is a big drinker and he actually asked us if we could teach some of his friends from the bar.  We said that that was fine, but they as well as himself need to be sober.  We have decided that we aren't going to be easy on him, that he needs someone to be tough on him and straight forward.  We got him thinking last week about some changes that he needs to make in his life.  We are gonna teach him lesson 1 tonight and I hope that it goes well.  Our other investigator that we are teaching, Greg, is going well as well.  On Saturday we watched the restoration with him as well as answered some questions that he had.  We felt like we needed to go over that again with him before teaching him lesson 3.  He says he has a desire to know if what we are teaching him is true, which I think a good step in the right direction.  We were worried that he was just wanting us to teach him to just learn about we were about, which he says he wouldn't be meeting with us if he didn't want to know that it was true.  He didn't show up at church yesterday though and we don't know why yet because he came last week and said he was going to go yesterday.
      Other than that everything is going really well.  The members here are awesome, and I love the families in the ward.  There are already some families that I have grown pretty close with that are just always trying to help us progress the work.  Yesterday we had ward council in our ward where the missionary work is slow, I think that we helped them to get motivated to work as well as the Ward missionary leader who has kind of been slacking.  We are going to go on splits this week with some women from the relief society which will be great.  My companions and I are getting along great, there are those moments where one of us is off, but it doesn't last for long.  I can't believe that we only have 2 weeks left in the transfer.  And I know for sure that if I stay in this area that we will lose one of the wards because they are rearranging the wards missionaries will be over in the stake.  We will still be over two wards, but the wards that we have now won't be together.  This is really said to me because I have grown so close to these investigators as well as the people in these wards.  It is going to be hard for me to hand them over to someone else and to trust them. Both the wards will be sad if they lose sister missionaries.  They just love us being in their ward and just working so hard.  I wish I had some cool stories like Megan does, but nothing big happens here, just your typical suburbia area.  We did have a missionary meeting that took up all day Wednesday and then all day Tuesday we spend at the doctor because sister Thompson hurt her foot.  Other than that there aren't that many good stories.  Mainly awkward encounters with less active members that aren't interested or don't want any contact from the church.  I wish I could sit here and type to you all that is happening and about everyone one that is in the ward that I have gotten to know as well as more about my lessons with the investigators.  But today p-day is going to be cut a little short for us since we have to have back to back lessons tonight and we are cutting into our day for that so we can fit everyone in.  I don't know what it is about p-days but those are our most productive days.  It defiantly is tough trying to keep busy during the week from 12 to 5 because everyone is always not home or at work.  It has been hard for us to stay busy with two wards, I can't even imagine what it will be like when we are over just 1.  I hope all is going well back at home.  I Love you and Miss you all.  Thank you all for your e-mails and hand written letters, they really do mean a lot to me.  One thing that I learned last night when we were at one of the families in the wards family night was 3 things to keep a family strong in the gospel:1 kneeling prayer, 2 stand up and serve, 3 reach out and rescue, it was a talk from.
Love Sister Metcalf
P.S. Elise dropped off some krispy kreme donuts this morning. It was so cute and took me by surprise.  Now I really got to be careful that I don't gain 50 lbs on the mission, I feel like all the missionaries that leave soon are all on diets hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment